Saturday, March 27, 2010

kill the critic... me

Ok, so I feel like I've started this blog off on the wrong foot. I've been upset with how things are done in the church (especially when it comes to how dramatic story telling is done). I have been very critical, and I thought this would be a good place to share my criticism. I'd share my "wisdom" with the world... (ha ha)

I listened to a sermon the other day by Pastor Steve Wiens at Church of the Open Door in Maple Grove, MN. (It's on iTunes if you want to hear it.) It was all about the difference between an expert (critic) and a master (artist). Now this was an important thing to hear as a frustrated, struggling artist wanna-be. But he wasn't talking about art. He was talking about life.

I also had a conversation with a friend from college yesterday. It was really fun catching up with her... But as she talked about her travels and the people she met and the conversations she had with brothers and sisters around the world... There are moments you remember why you love breathing. That was one of them.

We have a great big God who loves us. ...and by His grace I'm falling back in love with Him.

So here's the deal: I don't want to be a critic. I want to be a disciple of the master, not a student of an expert. God is big enough to handle the things that are wrong in the church. Instead of being a critic of all those things here, I would like to use this space in becoming a pragmatic lover/disciple of Jesus Christ my rabbi (master). I want to brainstorm, create, and do, throwing it all out there.

If anyone ever reads this... ;-) Hold me to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment